Donate FacebookJoin

Sachkerah Woods Playground

Located in the southeast corner of Van Cortlandt Park, Sachkerah Woods Playground was constructed in 2007 and features new play equipment, a comfort station, drinking fountains, benches, fencing, and surrounding park paths with a handful of picnic tables. (No barbecuing permitted.)

Honoring the Mosholu Golf Course, which opened on the site in 1914, the golf–themed playground features a spray shower in the form of a 19th hole flag, green–colored concrete representing the putting green, and safety surfacing that evokes white concrete sand traps. Oversized golf balls serve as creative climbing equipment for children. The $2.9 million Sachkerah Woods Playground was funded by $2.8 million from Croton Filtration Mitigation Funds and $170,000 from Bronx Borough President Adolfo Carrión, Jr.

Bordering the neighborhoods of Norwood and Bedford Park, Sachkerah Woods Playground re–imagines the Park entrance and adds to a long history of adapting this land to changing needs. Early inhabitants of this area were the Lenape, a local Native American people that hunted in the woodlands and farmed on nearby flat, fertile grounds. “Sachkerah” is an Algonquian name that has been loosely translated as “extended land.” In 1914, the site was incorporated into the 18–hole Mosholu Golf Course. In 1989, when the course was reconfigured to a 9–hole course, the site was part of the 11 new acres of green space that opened up to the community. In September 2004, the City Council approved a Memorandum of Understanding with New York State allowing the City to move forward with the construction of a water filtration plant for the Croton Water Supply under the Mosholu Golf Course in Van Cortlandt Park. As part of the agreement, the Parks Department received more than $200 million from the Department of Environmental Protection for improvements to over 70 Bronx parks over a five year period. Creation of Sachkerah Woods Playground was one of the first Croton mitigation projects completed.