Donate FacebookJoin

Indian Field

Indian Field is located in Van Cortlandt Park along East 233rd Street between Jerome Avenue and Van Cortlandt Park East. The City of New York acquired this parkland in 1888, but it did not name this field in honor of its long–time residents until 1913. Slightly north of this area is the Stockbridge Indian Memorial, which commemorates Chief Abraham Ninham and 17 Mohican Indians who died here during a mission to aid the Americans in the Revolutionary War.

When Indian Field was first constructed, it held baseball and softball diamonds, a sand pit, picnic tables, drinking fountains, and tennis, horseshoe, and shuffleboard courts. The bocce ball and horseshoe courts were named “Mickey’s Courts” for Mickey Caffaro, a local Woodlawn resident. Today’s Indian Field offers park visitors baseball and softball diamonds, tennis courts (hard and clay surfaces), water fountains, bocce courts, bathrooms and a splendid garden. Council Member June Eisland provided $100,000 for bocce court lighting in 2001, as well as $1 million for the reconstruction of the tennis courts.